Friday, October 18, 2013

Waiting

               Sooo ok, as I sit here, I am on hold with a doctor's office.  No biggie, it's only been ten minutes and it's for a routine matter involving scheduling a flu shot for Feisty Pants.  But it does remind me of something I DESPISE about the medical profession as a whole. So this little shout out goes to all the administrators in hospitals and medical office complexes out there. 
            Hi there, dude (or lady) in a suit who probably works really hard and just thinks they're being extra efficient.  OUR TIME IS VALUABLE TOO.  Seriously, stop forcing doctor's offices to over schedule patients. I hear doctors and their employees complain all the time about people who show up late or cancel or just don't to bother to show up at all.  And it is indeed, incredibly rude.  But why is it I never hear you comment on the parent of some sick kid who has been there for an HOUR in your waiting room with a crying baby?  Do you realize what it's like to be sick and miserable and have to sit there on those always uncomfortable seats having to be quiet and behave? Especially, if say, you're five years old? Once, when feisty pants was little I sat in the waiting room of a medical lab for over an hour- with a very sick little girl with pneumonia, on oxygen, with an order that had STAT written across the top in big bold red ink and your employees acted like it wasn't in any way urgent.  (Another doctor- a stranger- who happened to be there for a blood test of his own, took one look at FP and started yelling until someone took care of her immediately or for all I know we could still be there in that purgatory of a waiting room.  BTW- in case I never thanked you Doc, Thanks!) You're worse than airlines with overbooking.  I know it's the insurance companies insisting on you seeing as many patients in the shortest amount of time.  But I bet you there could be a way if we ALL rebelled to put an end to it once for all.  (Maybe, next time someone sues over a misdiagnosis you could turn around and sue their insurance provider for forcing you to not spend enough time to do the job right? just saying.)  
            And for the love of all that is good and holy in this world, hire enough people to run your offices.   I watch the office people scramble all the time to try to deal with all the scheduling and billing and phones and charts while cranky parents and crankier patients who HATE waiting want to be taken care of right NOW.  Your answer to this, dear administrators seems to be not to hire more people, but to put in a frigging annoying automated phone system that makes the wait EVEN longer.  You guys should have to work in a busy doctor's office for a few weeks before you are allowed to run a clinic system or hospital.   You might make better, more humane decisions.  And you should have to deal with a severely disabled patient and their caregivers  and their feedback SEVERAL times during that period. With a case like Feisty Pants, time is always of utmost importance.  If I can get her to the doctor and get the tests and meds we need and nip an illness in the bud before it turns into pnuemonia, we can usually keep her out of the hospital.  But if I cannot get past the phonelines and office staff (not usually an issue but occasionally I get some newbie who thinks I don't really mean it when I say "She needs to be seen right now" or somehow thinks I am an overdramatic parent.) make no mistake, a cold turns into a lung infection and often a ER visit, and transfer to a bigger far away hospital.  I once sat on the phone for over two hours before I gave up hope of ever speaking to a human being.  Hint to other parents- know what I do for that issue?? If can't get through after 20 mins and FP needs to be seen  I just show up. Seriously. I show with a sick kid in a wheelchair and an oxygen tank and her suction machine and say, "I tried to get through but couldn't so I decided to save you some time and here we are" Big smile.  "How soon can you get me in?"  Then I sit where they have to watch her cough and stare at them until they take us back to see the doc.  I have no shame or scruples when it comes to FP's medical care. The difference, dear administrators, between you and me is that I think that is a virtue.  And the better you staff those offices, the less likely you have to deal with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment