Monday, October 7, 2013

          Today is kind of a bitch. Not a scary ambulance ride bitch, just a "sigh, did that break and who do I have to pay now?" bitch. I don't want to get into it. Let's just say we all have crappy days and leave it at that.  What I do want to do is defy the crappiness. So, I  want to write about what I appreciate.  Maybe a list...
       1)  I really love boring days.  I dunno, maybe I'm old.  (Although, I like to think of it as a being a frigging grown up)  But after the crazy roller coaster that was Feisty Pants until she was six, I like boringness.  It's not that I want everything to be the same. It's that I like having the idea of possibilities.  I could go for a walk. Or take a shower.  Just have an evening where we argue about a football game instead of what time to take FP to the ER.  The girls and I like to think we're crafty. I like the idea I could get a whim and paint something.  Even if I never really have the time. It's the possibility that tantalizes me.
         2) I love my neighbors.  I've said it before. It bears repeating. They are kind and helpful.  And most of all, incredibly tolerant. They didn't complain when sirens and cops and ambulances were here ALL the time.  They didn't complain when Feisty Pants was small and all her therapists and social workers and various teachers etc, would come to the house about a million times a week and take up all the parking in the neighborhood.  I wonder if they thought we were a drug den.  Cars in and out all the time and sirens at 3 am.  When FP got to the point that we could her take out and about in the neighborhood for  walks etc, they all said "Oh, NOW we get it."  And then started mowing my lawn and helping with snow shoveling. They take nice to whole new level.  If I could bottle and sell whatever amazing sense of decency they have, I could not only get rich, but save the whole darn world.
         3) I love the Library of Congress. They have a program for the visually impaired where you can get a digital reader and free digital downloads of any book. Feisty Pants has a cortical visual impairment- which means her eyes work, but her brain doesn't  quite know how to put the picture together.  We were lucky enough to be picked for a digital reader early in the program and voila, just like that, I found out I have a kid who likes Harry Potter and Captain Underpants for more than half an hour at a time(no surprise for those).  But also, I have a kid who LOVES Shakespeare and Dickens. BTW- they now have a FREE app for the digital reader that turns your smartphone or tablet into a reader and allows access to the same library for books.  I cannot find the link yet.  If I do I'll post it the comments. Or if you do- feel free to post it in there  too.  
           Huh, whaddya know...  just three things and I do feel better. And I didn't even get into how my coffeemaker is practically my boyfriend. Let's make this a conversation.  What everyday things do you appreciate most?

No comments:

Post a Comment