Monday, November 18, 2013

Links for toy ideas for your feisty ones.


       Well I 've decided to put in some of my favorite links to gift and toys for disabled kids.  Please note, most of these are pricey. The problem with the companies that make the specialized products is that they are used to selling to schools and hospitals.  Or, the case of some lucky kids, they are purchased through insurance programs or resource networks for the disabled.  Which means, unfortunately, that they are waaayyy overpriced.   I like to troll these sites for ideas.  Then I gleefully steal said ideas and go bargain hunting on sites like Amazon, Walmart, or Toys R Us.   Heck, I even found a few gems in dollar stores. Once you get the idea of what you are looking for, it becomes easy enough to spot the equivalent (or even the original) in discount stores.
 
Toys R Us- they have a list of recommendations for differently abled kids.
 
Fat Brain Toys- I would go broke here.  Toys guaranteed to bring out your inner geek.  (Like we need help with this around here.)
 
ThinkGeek-  another geek Nirvana.   Known for their geek tee shirts but they have toys too.  Feisty Pants' very favorite sonic screwdriver penlight came from here I think. 
 
Ableplay- not too pricey, but still I recommend doubling checking on prices.

Enabling Devices- a definite go-to site for ideas and hard to find items that will adapt other toys You can, for example, get products here that make any battery operated toy into a switch toy. ( A switch toy is one turned on by hitting a large button) You can even get devices that make anything with a plug become a switch enabled device, so you can make your lamp or radio turn on with a simple large button.  Can be pricey though.
 
Snoezelen-  This is a type of therapy using lights and textures for sensory input and brain stimulation.  The objects here are VERY pricey but is great site to make you think differently about how you approach the idea of play and toys. I like to troll here and then hit what my hubby calls the "the stoner section" of places like Spencer's Gifts or Walmart.
 
           I hope this helps.  Its a very short list, but I think it can help get the idea across of what to look for gift ideas.  If you know a great store/site, put it in the comments. I'm always looking to pick the brains of others especailly when bargain hunting.   Happy hunting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment