Sunday, October 2, 2016

October Blues

             Damn.  It's October again.  Don't get me wrong, I love October.  I love it almost as much as I love November.   October looks like it's dressed up for a dance, all beautiful colors and alluring scents.   The nights are cooling off and the days do not act as if the earth has a fever.    The wind seems to be practicing for Halloween.  And don't even get me started on Halloween.  I adore it in ways beyond mere nerdy cosplay fanaticism. It's the one night of the year my crazy family doesn't stand out in some weird, Addam's Family meets Tim Burton meets nerd kind of way.    I just wish we had a different way to celebrate the Autumn harvest. 
                    Most families do some or all of those cutesy, wholesome, family values kind of things.  They go apple picking.  They go to a pumpkin farm.  They have annual cider and donut nights.  They may even don comfy sweaters and roast marshmallows over their backyard firepits.  They rake their leaves and clean up their yards and get ready for winter. And I envy all of them.  The self righteous bastards.  
                    We celebrate fall differently.  Oh sure, we argue over football. (I'm in a mixed marriage- Steelers versus Giants) We try to get to a pumpkin farm and feed one of the kids to a goat.  We argue over yardwork until its done, usually after I threaten to go on strike and  make everyone eat pb and J sandwiches for dinner for an entire week. But mostly we get sick. Every frigging year.  Like clockwork.  It goes a little like this-  Hippie Pants (yes, Hippie Pants)  gets good and sick and then gives it to EVERYBODY else.   This is because Hippie Pants, in spite of all my best efforts to raise her properly, insists on being one those weird people who actually likes, and is affectionate towards, others.  I blame her father.  Lord knows I did the best I could.  But still, there that child goes, tripping across the Universe, hugging all and sundry until OF COURSE she gets whatever virus brews right when kids go back to school.   Which she then shares with everybody.  Including, naturally, Feisty Pants.   So we then celebrate October with doctor visits and ER visits and, sometimes, hospital stays. So this years flavor of yuck is a cold, followed by an after hours clinic visit (to get an antibiotic) for the secondary sinus infection.  Not a big deal I thought.  HA HA HA.

                    This years cold is the gift that keeps on giving.  So it has turned into bronchitis.  And an asthma attack. On a Saturday, thus precipitating the annual ER dash.  So three needle pokes, one iv, two x-rays later, we were sent home (at least, that went ok...) with prednisone, and another inhaler, and instructions to stay on the O2 until  we decide to cut our nonsense out and get better already. So we are now stuck at home for the time being.   Just when we figured out how decide which kid to feed to the goat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment