Thursday, October 27, 2016

For Hot Pants on her birthday

        Originally, I wanted to make this post another fun Nerdoween craft post.  That one will be next time, I promise. I think.  (It's totally adorable if you believe me.)  Instead, I have decided to make this about Feisty Pants' nurse, Hot Pants.  It's her, umm, er,  29th birthday, give or take a few years, and I thought I would say what she means to us. So, Hot Pants, this is for you.
        Thank you, for all you do for her.  For taking Feisty Pants to school so she can get an education.  Thank you for taking her to school so she can get her therapies.  For taking her to school so she can make friends.  And scheme to hold a boy's hand.  And flirt with all the older boys.  Thank you for helping her to get her hair done so she can show us what a bad ass 13 year old she is with her multicolored mohawk.   Thank you for helping her paint her nails and go the salt sanctuary at the spa so she can enjoy being totally high maintenance. And taking her to the circus. And letting her get eaten by a dinosaur.  Thank you for  being a good nurse so I don't worry while you two are off gallivanting around doing all these things and so much more besides.
           I know, you're going to laugh this off and say, "Hey, it's cool. I'm getting paid."    But what you do isn't just getting Feisty Pants to school or getting her some much needed social enrichment.   What you are doing is showing my severely disabled child that having a rich, full, socially active life isn't just possible for her, it's downright normal.    I grew up with disabled siblings back when parents still had to sue just to get them into school.  You are showing my child that Monday means spa day.  And that school's are not just for education, but also girl talk and boyfriends and hairdos.   Just like every other frigging thirteen year old girl on the planet.  That is more precious than rubies and all the money in the world.  I would wish for you to win the lottery but then I am afraid you would retire.  So instead I will wish that you always find working with Feisty Pants fulfilling and working with her parents not too much of a pain in the ass. Thank you so much.
Happy 29th birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment