Sunday, August 31, 2014

Thanks

                     It's been a while since I did any kind of post about being grateful.  When I started this blog, I thought if I could throw a post in about gratitude every so often that it would be a decent thing to do maybe I would start thinking along those lines and be a better human being.  Apparently I'm just not that nice of a person.  Sigh.  I really should not have to remind myself to do this once in a while.  But it seems I do.  So here goes, my latest overdue gratitude list.
                     First, a belated shout out to my daughter's now former teacher.   I wanted to send a note at the end of the year because after three years of educational bliss, Feisty Pants is moving along to the next teacher.  But I got busy.  And I am awful. You cannot have any idea of what an amazing difference you have made in her life.  My daughter is notorious for refusing to cooperate with basically, anything she does not damn well feel like cooperating with.  Nazi villains in movies could not get her to talk.  Her first three years at school, she refused to say a single word.  The school had pretty much given up on her.  We got her into your school and your program and you had her talking in three days.  And excited about school.  And excited about learning.  You are Annie Sullivan and Mr. Rogers and Obi Wan Kenobi all rolled into one.  When Feisty Pants becomes an evil overlord, we are cloning you first.  Thank you. No wait, I don't usually call people by their real names (I feel it's kinda not fair of me to tell someone else's story) but in this case, I want to shout it from the rooftops.  Thank you, Jane Tilleman, for being one the best thing things that has ever happened to my child.

                    Thank you, and happy friendship anniversary (frieniversary?) to Awesome Pants.   I cannot believe I have known you thirty years.  Thirty. Frigging. Years.  You really are one of my tribe.  Anybody else I have known longer and still hang out with happen to be related to me. When I met you , you were a shy but feisty baricua straight outta Brooklyn.  Having just fallen of the turnip truck on the way into town, I was in awe at your poise and openness.  Thirty years later you have become a true wise Latina (in the words of another wise Latina) and I am still  a little bit in awe of you.  Thanks for being there and being you. 

                  Than you Feisty Pants, for your new obsession with caramel ice cream.  (We make our own ice cream here and let the kids pick the flavor.)  When I drag my cranky mom butt out of bed in the am and come downstairs for coffee, it's pretty nice to be able to throw a spoonful a caramel ice cream in it and have one decadent mother of a cup first thing.  That was clever of you to think of and makes my day just a little nicer. Thanks, kiddo.

                  Well, that wasn't so hard after all.  And I really do feel more peaceful and zen like.    So, thanks to anyone out there reading this.  I really do appreciate all of you too.  Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment