Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Doggone it


                   Ok, shhhh, don't tell Feisty Pants but we are working on getting her a new puppy.  We've had dogs longer than we've had Feisty Pants so she has always had them.  But both of ours died with in the last year.  (Old age mostly- one simply went in her sleep and the second's health went downhill immediately after that.  They were both 14 years old.) Pets in general, and dogs in particular, teach us amazing things about love and empathy and living in the moment and generosity of spirit.   I don't remember off-hand which philosopher said that "until we love an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened" but they were damn well right.  And I know FP has lung issues.  I don't care.  She is NOT allergic to dogs or cats, so we are going to go right on having them.
                    And, I also know that pets come with a built in expiration date.  It's hard and traumatic and awful to love them so much and then let them go.  It's even worse that they love us a thousand-fold more than we usually deserve and then we have to let them go.  But it is so much worth it that we are about to take that ride again.  I think, perhaps, that that's the biggest lesson they give us.  That love - real honest love- is worth the ride no matter how many times the ride must end.  That the dance may stop but the music plays forever.
                    Feisty Pants has been begging for a dog anyway.  Every Animal Planet  tv show (and we watch Animal Planet a LOT), dog food commercial, every neighbor out walking their dog, reminds her of what has been missing from our family since last spring.  She alternates between her mantra of "Ummy, want a dog, Ummy. Now." and "Don't worry, the ellow (yellow) dog is coming." ( Don't ask me. I have no idea, either.) So when my sister in law texted me last week that she knows someone looking for good homes for boxer mix puppies, we said yes. They should be ready for homes right around Feisty Pants'  birthday.  I said we prefer female but would take any friendly dog she(my sister in law) thought suitable.  I figure if the Universe is throwing me a curve ball of a puppy right out of the blue, we should be flexible enough to accept whatever form it comes in.
                    So we are slowly sneaking in puppy chow.  And washing up all the old dog toys and bowls and leashes from our other dogs.  And finding a few blankets to hand down to the new family member, in case this does work out.  And picking out fun names.  Don't ask, I'm too superstitious to tell you yet.  They will all be nerdtastic, anyway.  We haven't officially told Feisty Pants, in case it doesn't.  But I doubt it will be a complete surprise.  And if the puppy does get here and turn out to be "ellow", I am changing Feisty Pants' name to either Matilda or Kreskin.  So, do me favor.  Keep your fingers crossed for us and think a few good thoughts our way, puppy wise.  Just not too loud, or Kreskin might hear you.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I am so excited!!!! When this happens, I will definitely be coming to meet the newest Chalker! And I hope to meet Hippypant's baby at that point also!!! Yay hooray! I will try not to think about it when Amara is around, as I am certain she will read my thoughts. I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us too. We are all agog at the idea.:)

    ReplyDelete