Monday, December 16, 2013

Magic Corn


         So my kids are nuts for Christmas.  I know all kids who celebrate Christmas go through that stage.  The difference is mine never grow out of it.  I blame my side of the family.  I would blame genetics, but I am an adoptee so no luck in finding a scapegoat there. hurrumph  It has to be nurture.  My mom's family is Pennsylvania Dutch. A big PD family.  (not kidding- I have over 40 first cousins- not second, not third, none of that removed stuff)  You've all seen  My  Big Fat Greek Wedding?  We have My Big Fat German Christmas.  My mother put a second oven in her house just for holiday dinners.   And now Feisty Pants has caught the fever.  So we have to get the lights lit BEFORE Dark.  We have to make cookies at least twice a week.  (C'mon Ummy, it's kismass)  And, she has informed us, we have to find "magic corn" for the reindeer, otherwise how will they fly to the next kid's house, hmmm???  And none of our carrots nonsense, thankyouverymuch, she saw Santa Claus is Coming to Town so she isn't fooled one bit.
          I must admit it's kinda fun, watching kids discover anything new and amazing to them.  And, it's even nice in Hippie Pants' case, to see them not become jaded and cynical about holidays.   It's cute watching FP get all excited about her new ugly sweater for her class' sweater parade and how she will get to wear pajamas to school her last day for the school-wide pajama party.   (Whoever thought that party up for Christmas is a genius!  The kids wear pjs, eat popcorn and watch movies for the party.  They are all excited and no parent has to lose their mind over making cookies.)  She is especially excited because she was afraid she was going to miss Christmas because she was in the hospital last week.  (She told us this after we came home.)
           So, I guess I have to admit I am looking forward to it too.  The kids are happy and chatty.  The house smells like it should (cookies and bread instead of our usual failed chemistry experiments)  It is cold and snowy ( That always cheers me right the hell up)I am sure by the end of the week, I'll be crazed with trying to finish baking, and pack to go to my folks, finally be done with gifts, not to mention wrapping and cards and relatives and phone calls.  And usually something really nutty that makes for an amazing story years later when its finally funny.  (Not kidding, I have dozens. )  But right now, it's quiet.  And there is snow on the ground.  And the big kid has left to go home after watching Christmas specials while cuddling with her sister.  And the little one is asleep.  And Christmas music is playing.  And the house smells like the bread Goo is baking.  And it's ten degrees outside, so no mildew to make Feisty wheeze. It's a grand in between moment.   And I am going to make some tea and savor it. And try to figure out some magic corn.  Before my mother blows up something in her kitchen for the second time this week.  (I wasn't kidding about those wacky stories.)  I wish you a moment of calm in the chaos.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment