Friday, December 20, 2013

Last Minute Gifts


             As I sit in my very comfy house, whining and bitching about all I have to get done before I leave to go to my folks, perhaps I should take a few moments to NOT be a complete a-hole.  Don't get me wrong.  This is not a vacation.  Moms never really get a vacation to begin with and with Feisty Pants, you're actually just working from a new location.  It's a business trip.  But I am going from one comfy house to an even comfier house with food  you would give your right arm for and the only fee is watching my mouth and trying not piss off my conservative relatives at the dinner table.  (I was an obnoxious smart aleck of a little kid, and as the youngest girl of my generation on the larger side, probably a bit more indulged than was good for teaching me manners.)  But I thought that rather than sliding into any more of an annoying funk (whinewhinewhine I have too much to do, packing is haaaard) perhaps I should share some favorite charities.   They could use the shout out.  I could use a little sunshine for my soul.  You can always use them as last minute gift ideas. (Most give you an option to print out a certificate stating that a donation has been given in your recipient's name.)  So in no particular order, here are some of my faves:
 
 
The Greater Goods Site-  I've mentioned this one before.  They are made of awesome.  Anything you buy supports their work.  And they have a list of specific charitable actions to support. Just search the column on the far left for "Gifts that give more".  Feed a horse for two weeks. Vaccinate a certain number of kittens or puppies. Fund a clinic etc.  Some even let you pick the exact dollar amount.  And they all send a link to a print out to put in a card if it's a gift. This link specifically goes to the Hunger Site, but you can follow the tabs across the top to better direct where the money goes
 
Covenant House-  a great organization for homeless youth.  The things homeless children go through is awful.  They are preyed upon in ways that would give you nightmares and yet, when we see a homeless teen, we think delinquent.  What we should think is helpless.  They help those children that we as a society have thrown away.  Even if you never give again, give here.
 
 
Kiva-  They specialize in microloans to the poor on five continents.  You can absolutely change a life for the better forever for as little 25 bucks.  They work with microfinance organizations worldwide and 100% of your donation goes to the loan.  They even send the gift card (via email) to your recipient for you.
 
Saint Judes Childrens Research Hospital-  they do good work, save children and never charge the families.   What more do you need to know?
 
Shriner's Hospitals for Children-  What Saint Judes is to cancer, Shriners is to orthopedics and movement disorders.  Here you'll be helping kids like Feisty Pants.
 
 
Donors Choose-  dedicated to helping kids by helping teachers.  You pick an individual project to donate to.  You get updates from the teacher on progress.  You often get the best thank you notes (with pictures) when the project is accomplished.  This gives back several times over.  Once when you give, again when the project is completed, and in the long run, the community as a whole benefits.  When you help kids, it pays us all back.
 
The Impact Project-  a local Southern Tier organization.  They are a faith based group of volunteers who want to share their beliefs about religion and fellowship by doing good deeds.  They specialize in fixing and adapting homes for the elderly and the disabled.  They are awesome and really, really good at what they do.  (And since the whole point of religion is commune with the divine by learning compassion for each other, it heartening to see people just, well, get it.)
 
So there you, go.  Last minute gifts for you if you need them.  Perhaps a little good karma for me.  Definitely good karma for you if you give.   Spread the love, it will come back multiplied.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I love Donors Choose & Greater Goods. Greater Goods even lets you choose to give to different types of charities (i.e. dogs, cats, humans).

    ReplyDelete