Thursday, September 1, 2016

Summer

              Oh boy,  it has been a long, looooooonnnnngg hot summer.    I officially wilted in the humidity about a month ago.  It's hot enough at night that I have gone through all the books currently on my kindle app on my phone.   Feisty Pants has gleefully informed me that on top of being cheap and boring, I have now hit the icky parent trifecta of being smelly too.   She is only willing to be seen with me in public because she is a nice person.   Add to that several couples I know having problems, my mother literally falling down the stairs and breaking her neck, and a handful of long distance doctors appointments that involve Goo and I getting even less sleep.  Don't even get me started on the craziness that is this election cycle.  (Really, who nominates an angry Oompa Loompa?) What is it about summer that brings out the crazy of the Universe?
               So, anywhoo, in order to stave off the existentialist crisis that is the end of a long, hot summer, I am try to fill this post with gratitude and maybe make my world a brighter place.  So here goes -my list in no particular order.
1)  I am so grateful again to my amazing neighbors.  They are kind and awesome.  They help mow our lawn and shovel snow in the winter.  They even invite us to impromptu barbecues.  MORE THAN ONCE.  On purpose.  We are boring at best and annoying most of the time.  These people need beatification.
2) Feisty Pants' service coordinator has a thankless (and I am sure often tedious) job but yet is always kind, professional, effective , and cheerful.  I don't know how any social worker keeps their sanity but thank the gods that made them.  This woman can fill out paperwork in her sleep and jump tall insurance executives in a single bound.  Thanks for all you do.
3)  Goo pulled a magic trick out his hat and found some extension bars in order to "grow" Feisty Pants' portable wheelchair (the real one is not portable and no longer fits in a minivan) so we can get another year out of it and give the above mentioned ten foot tall and bulletproof service coordinator the year it will take to get the next portable one.
4)Feisty Pants' nurse (that's right, I'm talking about you, Hot Pants)  has done an amazing job with her.  Especially this summer. Whether she's making sure Feisty Pants gets all her services and therapies at school or finding a way to take FP swimming without me, Hot Pants has found some amazing ways to be there for my kid without making it seem like she's just a nurse doing a job.  This gives Feisty Pants a sense of enrichment and independence that FP adores.  And I adore Hot Pants for that.

           So there.  Done. Thank you Universe, for all of that.  I do feel better now.  And as for you, Feisty Pants, you know I smell like roses and unicorn glitter and awesomeness so just admit it or I will take a well deserved nap in your bed and make you smell me all night while you sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment