Thursday, April 9, 2015

To Be or Not to be (Tested)

                Well, Easter has come and gone.  The sugar/chocolate/ham express has made its way too big, way too full of sugar and junk delivery.  The children have been shaken out of their Willy Wonka stupor, been dusted off and sent back to school and work and lives.  We are about to rush headlong into warmer weather (bleah) and (GASP) IEP season. For the uninitiated, that's when schools and parents hunker down like disgruntled warriors at a peace treaty signing, umm err, I mean sit down and discuss what goals need to be met in the upcoming year.  Not that I am expecting any major skirmishes there.    Feisty Pants is in a good placement for her.  But disabled kids bring out the wonky in everyone and it's always a bit frazzling to have to compromise like a real grown up when it comes to your kid's future.  And, I, apparently, am a giant pain in the ass, um er, a strong advocate for my kid.  Seriously, I have been told that has been written in some of FP's medical records. ("Mother is a strong, vocal advocate."  I guess bitch didn't seem like real medical terminology. )    
                So, no, I am really not expecting any battles.  We are all on the same side here and I am "strong and vocal" when I have to be.  No, my dilemma this year is a little more esoteric.  The test or not to test.  I am very unsure about the new common core testing.  We do need some testing you see.  We need to know our schools are working for our kids.  We especially need to know how the disabled students are faring.  Their education and their futures depend on good goals in their IEP's.  BUT this new emphasis on testing in New York (where we live) seems out of line with how far it should be taken.  We seem to be moving from testing for educational purposes to educating for testing purposes.  And Governor Cuomo's desire to slash public education and replace it with more charter schools is abhorrent.  Trust me on this, all charter schools do is create more of a caste system where the disabled, the different, the poor, the minorities are left out in record numbers. It is the opposite of the American ideals of equality and opportunity for all.  And my baby, my youngest child, will be the first to take the hit.  Profit has no business in certain areas of life.  We shouldn't sell our vote.  We shouldn't sell our organs.  We shouldn't sell slaves.  We shouldn't sell dangerous drugs. Even though it all would be immensely proftable. We know this already. Yet then why do we think we should sell our children's futures to the lowest bidders?  Which is why many parents are opting out of the testing as a way to show that we will not have this dismantling our of children's schools and futures.  They are doing so to show the powers that be in Albany that we all are truly displeased with the idea of ruining public education.
                But.  But.  But -Feisty Pants needs to have good tests so we know where she is progressing and where we need to focus our efforts with her.  Education is so important for all children.  It is more important for my kid who already has a million strikes against her.  But I fear these tests my kid so needs to ensure her education is sound will be the very weapon used to dismantle her entire future.

2 comments:

  1. I have at least 1 friend opting her child out of testing this year. I was an example of how you could barely ever show up for class (I ALWAYS had more music lessons than were ever actually scheduled), memorize the book, and pass the class with flying colors. I even helped Chen pass psychology that way in college... Never paid attention in class at all, but copied and memorized the vocabulary words from the book and passed with an A+. Testing doesn't test a kids intelligence... Just how well they can memorize what they're given. and though I excelled with the ny testing system, most children are failing, and not being educated the way they should

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sweetie, you are so right. we need to find a way to allow teachers and students room to think and breathe and experiment until the find for each student truly learn.

    ReplyDelete